The Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens is a long-reaching zoom lens that provides a 35mm-equivalent focal length range of 88-400mm, covering portrait-length to telephoto perspectives to suit working with distant subject matter. Greatly benefitting this lens’ reach is the incorporation of image stabilization, which works to minimize the appearance of camera shake by up to 3.5 shutter speed steps to support handheld use in low-light conditions.
An STM stepping focus motor is also integrated into the lens’ design to provide smooth, quiet, and fast focusing performance that is ideally suited to video applications as well as tracking moving subjects. The rear focusing system, high-speed CPU, and an enhanced AF algorithm also contribute to quickened overall AF speeds. The full-time manual focus is also supported to permit fine-tuning of focus even while working in AF modes. Additionally, the front lens section does not rotate during focusing to better facilitate the use of polarizing filters.
The optical construction of the lens employs one ultra-low dispersion glass element to help reduce chromatic aberrations and distortion throughout the zoom range while also enhancing contrast and clarity. Optimized lens coatings have also been applied to ensure color fidelity by countering the effects of lens flare and ghosting.
- Long-reaching zoom lens provides a 35mm-equivalent focal length of 88-400mm, covering portrait-length to telephoto perspectives.
- Optical image stabilization helps to minimize the appearance of camera shake by up to 3.5 shutter speed steps to benefit shooting handheld in dim lighting and with greater zoom magnifications.
- The STM stepping focus motor produces near-silent, smooth, and quick autofocus performance that is well-suited to video applications.
- One ultra-low dispersion element helps to reduce chromatic aberrations and distortion while also contributing to greater image sharpness, contrast, and clarity.
- Enhanced lens coatings minimize flare and ghosting in order to produce true colors with maintained contrast.
- A minimum focusing distance of 2.8′ throughout the zoom range and a maximum magnification of 0.29x at the telephoto end enables working with close-up subject matter.
- A seven blade circular aperture helps to produce an aesthetic out-of-focus quality to benefit selective focus and shallow depth of field imagery.